Victims of sexual abuse experience painful psychiatric injuries. Negative self-esteem is common, as well as anxiety and depression. Sexual abuse often coincides with emotional abuse which can make it even more difficult to function. Survivors of abuse can have difficulties trusting or maintaining relationships.
Benefits of Therapy for Sexual Abuse Survivors
• Restores self-image
• Builds interpersonal relationship skills, such as trust
• Aids in overcoming anxieties
• Aids in overcoming feelings of guilt and anger
• Aids in recognition of triggers of negative responses
• Treats resulting depression or anxiety
Therapy can guide a client towards self-empathy and can stabilize self-esteem. Talking through problems or establishing self-awareness for triggers or other negative thought patterns can be extremely effective in the recovery process.