Treatment of insomnia can be imperative to receiving the sleep you need. Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia, CBT-I, effectively treats insomnia and the chronic sleep problems that caused it, without relying on prescription medications such as sleeping pills. The goal of CBT-I is to improve sleep behaviors and patterns by addressing the underlying causes of the sleep problems. In order to do so, it’s important to understand how our behaviors, ways of thinking, and outside factors can affect our sleep. Let’s break it down:
Cognitive: Learn to recognize and change belief systems or thought patterns that have an effect on your ability to sleep. This may include learning how to loosen the grip of negative thoughts or self-doubt, or learning effective mechanisms for coping with and managing stress.
Behavioral: Learn to develop good sleeping habits, and how to avoid behaviors that prohibit or limit your ability to sleep. Learn to shift from “trying very hard to go to sleep and remain asleep,” to “allowing sleep to occur.”
Therapy: Therapy itself can take different forms, depending upon what you and your therapist decide works best for you. Some examples include stimulus control therapy, sleep restriction, improving your sleep environment, and relaxation training. For many, the most effective approach may be a combination of these methods.
Where sleeping pills can be effective short-term treatment of insomnia, CBT-I is more effective for long-term treatment by addressing the underlying causes of the sleeping problems. Anyone can benefit from CBT-I, whether a person who has been taking sleeping pills for years, or someone who suffers from insomnia associated with chronic pain.
We can help
Open Path’s Cognitive Behavioral Treatment for Insomnia class was created to help you re-establish healthier sleep patterns. It's a proven, effective modality that is guaranteed to improve your sleep, or we'll refund your money. To learn more, please click here.
- Cure your insomnia using a model that is recommended by the National Institute of Health and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- 6-week course developed by a team of doctors and mental health professionals with over 60 years collective experience.
- CBT-I consistently outperforms medication in randomized trials – patients and students fall asleep faster and spend less time awake at night.
- CBT-I is the only evidence-based, scientifically proven insomnia treatment program that does not involve medication.
- Full money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. (This is the most affordable course of its kind available online.)